Friday, January 24, 2014

Day 4.5: Better Breakfast Ideas

Friday, Friday, Friday, Yeah!

I woke earlier than usual today, which means I actually woke up with my alarm that goes off at the same time every day.  I just didn't  hit snooze.  Fridays give me a little boost of energy from knowing we made it through another week.

That meant I actually had enough time to heat the oven up to make a delicious breakfast:  Monster Pancake or German Pancake.  You know, the one that puffs up in the oven?  It makes a great high-protein substitute for regular pancakes.  It takes 6 eggs, 1 cup milk, and 1 cup flour, so it has a great protein to processed carb ratio.  Here's the recipe:

6 eggs (beat in blender for 3 minutes)
Add:
1 cup milk (I use skim) side note: unsweetened coconut milk has more protein and less milk sugars than even skim milk.  who knew? use that if you're feeling daring...it's yummy...in stuff.
1 cup flour (you could sub wheat for white)
1 tbsp sugar (optional)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
Blend until smooth.
Pour 3 tbsp melted butter into 13x9 baking dish and pour egg mixture over that.
Bake at 450 deg for 15 minutes.

It is really yummy.  Mine sometimes puffs and sometimes doesn't.  I think it's my old temperamental oven, which hopefully I will be saying sayonara to on Saturday.  Yippee!

Eating mindfully is about making substitutions for better quality calories.  Eggs and protein are an automatic win as a sub for highly processed white flour pancakes, even if said pancakes are puffy and to die for.

Another protein breakfast I have been seeing a lot of is Egg Cups.  These are basically an egg+veggie+meatofchoice+cheese scramble poured into a muffin tin and baked, instead of scrambled in the frying pan.  The sky's the limit on what to put in these babies, so use your imagination and all your left-over vegetables from dinner that your kids didn't eat.  They'll eat them in these breakfast eggy-muffins.  Even better, throw in some kale, chia seeds, flax seed, or olive oil and make them a super-food vehicle.

Choose one thing today and swap it for something better!

No comments:

Post a Comment