Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Day 4.2: Weight Bearing Exercises

How was day 1?  I hope it was grand!  Today I had some delicious Zucchini Pancakes, from Smitten Kitchen, and they were delicious, with really minimal sugar per serving.  And I subbed 1/2 wheat flour.  Win-win.
Today I am going to share some easy ways to get strength training into your workout.  Remember, this 10 days your goal is to do strength training 3 times this 10 days.  
I found this "Seven Minute Workout" and I really liked the exercises and reps.  These are "Body Weight" exercises, meaning the resistance you use is your own weight.  More for some of us, to be sure :)  Push yourself and do it 3 times.  You know you can.
The seven-minute workout
The 12 station regime should see each exercise conducted 15 to 20 times, in 30 seconds, with only five to 10 seconds “rest” between each one. The whole circuit (which can be repeated two to three times) should take about seven minutes and Jordan says to do it no more than three or four times a week.


If you have dumbbells at home, and I don't mean people that really annoy you, try some of this group of exercises.  10-12 reps, 3 sets.  Try to choose a variety and work your whole body.



The last suggestion I have for body weight exercises is my personal favorite, the Nike Training Club app for iphone or ipad.  Seriously love this app.  Exercises range from beginner to advanced, 30 min to 45 min, and you can mix the workouts with cardio for extra fat burn, and the body-weight exercises work your entire body.  There's a voice coach and you can set your favorite jams to play while you rock your muscles.  I find that I like to add more arms after, like plain old bicep curls, but the app is full of push ups and rows, great for chest and back.

Take time to build your muscles.  You will burn more calories, feel sleeker and stronger, and be less injury prone.



No comments:

Post a Comment