Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Hunger...and Weird Food Validation

As I was perusing my favorite blogs yesterday (there's only 4, 3 of which are about food) I came across a post from Our Best Bites, a food blog that many of you know well.  I had a moment of reveling in the fact that this recipe is pretty old news; been making it for over a year now.  That doesn't happen to me very often.  I am usually the last to know.  But see, things can change.

It is the recipe for 2-Ingredient Pancakes.  They involve bananas & 2 eggs.  You read it for yourself, even she raves about them.  So don't be all weirded out about the protein-packed, filling, yet slightly strange foods I post.  You can believe me.  And this proves it.  So don't take my word for it, it's not like you have to trust me or anything.

Give them a try, they are really delicious.  And I'll quit being smug about being the first to know, for once.

Moving on...

Hunger.  So elusive and ravaging and sneaky at the same time.  So physical yet so wrapped up in your head that it's hard to tell exactly what body part hunger emanates from.  Well, I'm here today to clarify and help you out.  As we listen to our bodies for the next 10 days, we will discover what true hunger is, so that we can eat when we are physically hungry.

The information today on hunger signals is taken from "How to Have your Cake and Skinny Jeans Too" by Josie Spinardi (reviewed yesterday).  I discovered last night it is also available from the iTunes store for the iBook app.  (which has an equally maddening "fake-book-ownership" format)  You should read it.

So, what does real hunger feel like? 
  • Physical hunger is a gentle, hollow, warm sensation in your stomach, which is that fist-sized space right above your belly button.
  • Physical hunger comes on slowly; no urgency but a calm prompting and heightened interest to make your way toward food.
  • Physical hunger is open to options and is flexible; not a driven focus toward one food (cake, mini M&Ms, breadsticks).
  • "Hunger is the best seasoning"; true hunger heightens your senses of smell and taste.
  • Physical hunger lacks indecision; you never question "am I hungry" or should I eat".
What does counterfeit hunger feel like?
  • Pseudo hunger comes on suddenly.
  • Pseudo hunger comes at emotionally stressful moments or transition times.
  • It is never satisfied.
  • Pseudo hunger is marked by indecision, urgency, and guilt.

I have been paying attention to my real hunger signals since Thursday and I can honestly report that they are true.  I can really tell when I'm really hungry.  I have also been able to clearly tell when I'm not hungry but my brain is sending signals for food as therapy or a time filler.  Sometimes I have listened to that brain and eaten anyway, but I can tell the difference.  This brings huge satisfaction.  And frees up a lot of time spent rooting through the cupboards for a food that I don't really need.

Yesterday I found myself in the kitchen every. time. I. switched. activities.  It was ridiculous to the extreme.  What a strange and pointless habit I have created.  Since my kitchen is kind of an extended hallway it gets through traffic like no other area in out home (evidence worn out cork tile strip).  However, in an equal measure my living room could be the new extended hallway and has the added benefit of not having food stored in it, unless you count the crumbs and bowls stashed in various hidden places.  By naughty monkeys.  But even I won't eat that, so it's safe.  So, to help curb my food trigger (walking through the kitchen between every activity) I am going to change my behavior (walk through the living room instead).  

So test yourself for true vs. counterfeit hunger today, and listen to what your body is telling you.  Trust it.

No comments:

Post a Comment