Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Becoming an Accidental Food Blogger

I think I'm morphing.  If you look at my pinterest page the majority of my pins are food, heavy on breakfast & dessert.  Help!  Before I know it I'll be posting pictures from my Nikon camera showing my pudgy hands cradling ingredients staged in colorful bowls with embroidered towels & flowers, writing about the 5th dish using 2 cups of cream I've made in a single week.  It seems like a happy & comfortable place to be...


But...in my searches, before I get derailed at dessert, I have been finding these amazingly delicious and healthy recipes. I've added links at the bottom of the blog in my "Nutrition Faves" to some of these.  The sheer volume of clean healthy food recipes is astounding.  I am relatively new to blogging & pinterest, so I'm sure this is not new information to most of you.  But I am super impressed at the lengths people, mostly women, go to to prepare healthy food for themselves, their families, and to share.  Women are ingenious and creative.  I love it.  I will share a few of my favorite recipes next post.

But alas, my kitchen is not blog-worthy.  My cupboards are a heaping unorganized disaster, and I have one scratched glass bowl in which I mix everything.  It also moonlights as my serving bowl.  And truly, I do not want pudgy hands.  Although it's gettin' close...

What I really want is this:


Or this:


Are you not totally impressed with the women Olympians?!  I get so inspired by their drive and determination!  I cry when they win, whoever it is, and just get so darn happy for them all.

I find myself wanting to have that drive and push, to see where my body can take me and test the limits of what my body is capable of.  I find myself focusing on healthy food, searching for healthy recipes, and wanting to work out.  Actually wanting to...crazy, I know.

Today I went cross country skiing, the kind you see in the picture above, just sans the gun.  I'm telling you this is the sport I'm most impressed with, obsessed with, and most want to do.  If I could live in any other country it would be Norway so I could ski as transportation.  It is all out, body screaming, heart pounding, sucking-wind fun in the snow!  The most aerobic sport in the Olympics.  

This is how they usually finish: 


This is what draws me in, this is what makes me excited, this is what I yearn to do.  To push until I can't push any more.  Thanks body, you can rest now.  Totally awesome!

I'm still obsessed with food.  Still oogling recipes and adding desserts to my pinterest page, still excited to make another delectable dessert or fun new flavor of pancake.

But in my heart & soul I'm an athlete, and I oogle as many healthy food recipes & clean eating food lists as the other kind; I still shop the perimeter of the grocery store, and I still instigate changes that will help me be more healthy.  I exercise to feel my my heart pounding and my lungs filling and my muscles straining.  To feel alive.  To feel challenged & happy.

And I ski like crazy during the Olympics, because as women we have the ability to inspire each other.  And it makes me feel that much closer to awesomeness.

1 comment:

  1. love everything about this post. also... Sorry I'm commenting on every post haha up late feeding the babe

    ReplyDelete